At a recent gathering of friends and writers’, our host – Thom – prepared a “make-your-own-pizza” bar for dinner. It was a very fun meal for 7 people. Something I recommend, provided you have a big oven and several cookie sheets.
Everybody got a rolled piece of fresh pizza dough and could dress it with an assortment of toppings: sausage, ham, olives, fresh basil, peppers, mushrooms, pineapple, tomatoes, and even carmelized onions.
I offered to bring a dessert that would fit the theme. And what better than a fruit pizza! The crust is basically a giant pecan sandie cookie, topped with a cream cheese-based vanilla frosting and fresh strawberries and blueberries.
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
2 ½ cups powdered sugar, ½ cup set aside
1 pint (5 cups) fresh strawberries, sliced and drained
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons lemon juice
(1) Preheat oven to 350. Mix butter, flour, sugar and pecans.
(2) Press into a 12-inch pizza pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. Then cool.
(3) In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, 2 cups powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend well and spread onto cooled crust.
(4) Mix sliced strawberries and a handful of blueberries with the remaining powdered sugar and lemon juice.
(5) Spoon onto cream cheese layer and chill.
(6) Cut into triangular slices and serve.
*One 12-inch fruit pizza yields 15-20 servings.